

Ever since I began college at Weber State University when I was 17 years old, I have had new acquaintances say to me, rather frequently, something along these lines...
"I can hear a subtle accent when you speak....where are you from?"
When I attended Weber, I thought the people that asked me this were a little off there rockers, because, after all, I grew up only 30 minutes up the road. However, as I have lived in different places, the inquiries as to where I'm from have only continued. Now when people ask me where I'm from, I almost always ask them where they think I'm from before answering their question. The two most popular regions that my newly met acquaintances think I'm from are the Scandinavian region and the Scotland/Ireland region. Needless, to say, they are shocked/surprised/disappointed when I respond that I grew up in Utah.
In speaking with my co-workers who have now worked with me for a few years, many have said that they don't detect an accent, but they also say that I definitely don't sound American either. Is this a good thing? Bad thing? I'm not sure. But it sure does give me a good laugh.
15 years ago
2 comments:
That's so funny! I've never really noticed any "accent", but I guess I must not be observant enough or maybe it's because I know where you're from! I've been asked before if I am from Southern California, because I have an accent like I am...didn't know that I did, but anyway!
sorry, i've been meaning to call you too. we have been so busy, and so many crazy things going on. i hope things slow down soon. how are things going with school?
Post a Comment