Sophomore comments are due on Tuesday at 9 am.... This means that I have to write one comment for each of my 80 students (or rather their parents) about either how wonderful they are or some recommendations for areas of improvement in the second semester. In years past, due to the volume of comments I've had to write, I try to get a jump start. However, this year, I made a conscious choice to not let the fact of how far along I was (or was not as is the case) bother me on a daily basis. Rather I chose to just hunker down and have a weekend in my hoodie on the couch.
I started to get bored as I was writing some version of the same sentence repetitiously so I came up with an idea to see how many words from O'Reilly's vocabulary list I could insert in my comments. But words like "dunderhead," "jobbernowl," "puzzelwit," or "harridan," didn't exactly have meanings that I could use to communicate with the parents of my students. Truthfully, I wasn't too surprised by that.
So now I'm taking a break. Cleaning still needs to happen this weekend, along with grocery shopping. Adam's taking a nap and I'm about to pound out a few more of these things. I really hope they'll end up coherent.
15 years ago
3 comments:
Ha ha...this post is awesome! I totally understand the comments thing...I had to do that too...but with only about 30 students. It is a game to see how creatively you can rephrase the same things, right?! Good luck and hope you don't have to spend too much longer working on that!
My teacher bought a pack of stickers that said, "Super!" or "Fantastic!" or "Out of This World" with rocket on it. They come in packs of like 100. Just a suggestion.
I can't believe you have to write out that many comments. Teachers jobs are never done! Your kids are so lucky to have you. Good luck! By the way, we still have to figure out dinner. I will email you.
Post a Comment